Saturday, March 20, 2010

Italian Food

I like Italian food.  As previously noted, I consider pizza to be nature's perfect dish.  (I'd love to dwell on that some more, but I have too much respect for my readers.  Just send me a large #8 with extra pepperoni.)  But why is it that I like all Italian food?  I've never been there.  Perhaps that's a good thing - wouldn't want my idyllic view of the place spoiled by reality!  I'm sure it can't have anything to do with the fact that the vast majority of the Durham wheat used in Italy for pasta is imported from the prairies of Canada, said pasta then (you guessed it) profitably exported back to Canada.  Or that my wife is of Italian ancestry.  And surely it can't be some subliminal attachment the red and white checkered "oil cloth" my mother used for every family picnic when I was growing up back in the 1950's.  What then?  Perhaps its by default - the Danish/Scottish alternatives being rollmops and haggis!  Buddha knows they don't hold a candle to Italian food.