Tuesday, March 23, 2010

There Ought to be a Loud Law

... against boosting the volume every time an advertisement interrupts a TV program!  Now, I'm not a big TV fan (I'd much rather read something - almost a lost art, I fear) but certain documentaries, sports events, newscasts, dramas, etc. usually draw me to spend an hour or two in front of the one-eyed monster every evening.  (Okay, I'm asking you to ignore the financial channels which run in the background all day everyday and are necessary for my stock market addiction.)  The Canadian Radio and Television Commission must surely be aware of this disgusting practice.  What happened to my inalienable right to fall asleep in front of the TV?  Gone!  Out the window!  Now, I'm rudely awakened by any number of As Seen On TV ads running at ear-splitting volume every thirteen minutes.  In fact, the volume increases so drastically during advertisements that it makes me wonder if there aren't dire medical consequences for some elderly viewers - at least those who aren't deaf.  With all of the weighty matters the CRTC has to deal with I'm sure they don't need another one, but they could sure be crowd-pleasers on this issue.  How about a stiff fine for any network or advertiser who boosts the volume of their ad?  Hit 'em where it hurts!  Bastards!