Friday, April 2, 2010

From The Left: A Man With Three Buttocks*

As evidenced by their sheer numbers, comedians play to a plethora of tastes - and no, I'm not questioning yours, or yours, although - you - in the back corner, I'm not at all sure about.  My good lady and I will pee with glee, laughing, yet again, at Donny and Walter and The Dude's difficulties.  It is a shared and somewhat guilty pleasure.  Yet I can't see her enjoyment in other shows, nor she in some of mine (UHF, This is Spinal Tap, The Party, etc.) - actually all of mine.  I have no excuse. I was introduced to Mack Sennett and Buster Keaton by family, and through Fred I came to know the Marx Brothers, W.C. Fields and Lenny Bruce.  You, no doubt, have your own list, and will question mine.  That's precisely my point.  Your taste in humour is shaped by all of your experiences, as is mine, and consequently there will always be widely divergent ways to make us laugh and thus comedians will always be more common than pennies in wading pools.  Too bad they can't be traded or leveraged or mortgaged.
* with apologies to the Pythons