Wednesday, May 26, 2010

From The Left: Watering Daze

I live in a small community with a water management plan which for the past 6 years has involved watering 3 days a week (probably 2 more than I'm currently doing) and next year having meters installed to more accurately gauge each household's usage. I already feel guilty as it is, hauling the hose about my yard, furtively setting up in the dark the night before so I can turn on the tap at 5:00 the next morning and scoot back inside before I'm noticed. I sheepishly admit to tsk-tsking at those on my block who water the street. Ominously, I've recently developed an annoying and persistent habit of keeping track of households which consistently water on their incorrect days, and am sorely tempted to report them to bylaw enforcement (halted only by my wife's threat to tell my friends that I have done so.) You see the trouble these restrictions can cause, however well intentioned. My wife's car hasn't see a wet rag in years. Don't even start on me about those who insist on washing their vehicles in their driveways, hoses running all the while. I'm beginning to think I need psychiatric help. I don't know about you, but I'm seriously considering xeriscaping just to preserve my sanity.