Sunday, June 20, 2010

From The Left: And Now ... A Siamese Fighting Fish?

I'm not against animals, per se.  I have several of them myself, and have worked with one or two as well, so I'm decidedly not averse to them.  In fact at last count (and apparently only temporarily so), we resided with a menagerie which consisted of a golden retriever (my dog Jake), a german shepard-ish small terrier-sized mutt of indeterminate origin who has kidnapped our affections, {this space left intentionally blank}, a geriatric stroke-stricken gerbil which has been respectfully (if ultimately unsuccessfully) encouraged to join his long deceased "friend", and Solo, the non-singing orange canary.  I'm certain that Solo is, if not cursed, then very troubled at the least.  He sang for about 2 weeks after my wife first got him, then the next week it's as if the cat got his tongue.  His tailfeathers nearly all fell out shortly after, and then he started sort of humming or purring to himself throughout the night.  Sort of the canary equivalent of a dove cooing, I suppose.  He sounds content enough, I think.  But my wife insists on resurrecting the singing too, so we've run the gamut in seeds, mixes, nutrition bars (!) and other dreadfully smelly yuck in that pursuit.  Still and ever, only purring.  I said above "and apparently only temporarily so" because my wife and eldest just pulled into the driveway and they have a small filled aquarium with a beta in it...