Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dads, Moms, Mars, and Venus

With Father's Day approaching it occurred to me that my wife, my daughters, and my daughter-in-law probably from time to time consider me a bit (if I'm lucky) strange.  And perhaps not just me (again, if I'm lucky) but most male relatives.  I guess it's the look I get from my wife when I propose that we invest in alternative energy to take our acreage off the grid.  Or that we divest prior to an impending stock market crash that nobody else seems to see.  Or when I install more lighting around the house, or buy another gun.  (We have bears as regular visitors out here too.)  In my defense I've decided that although there are many things that both sexes feel are important, there is also a fundamental difference between how moms view the world and how dads view the world, ie. Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus.  The pertinent difference here - as you may have guessed - is in the realm of security; dads more often feeling responsible for what I would call macro-security - things like insurance policies, retirement plans, education funds, door locks, fencing and gates, vehicle maintenance, and those topics previously mentioned.  Moms, on the other hand, are more attuned to micro-security, ie. making sure their progeny feel stimulated, educated, warm, happy, and fed.  And, in retrospect, I guess I wouldn't have it any other way.  Either that, or I just like the concept because it makes me feel a little less strange.