Wednesday, June 23, 2010

God Help Me Score!

No, not that.  Get your mind out of the gutter.  With the World Cup in progress, a question that has been bugging me for some time has re-emerged.  What I want to know is why professional athletes either pray to Whoever/Whatever for a win, and/or thank the same deity when they do so?  Do they believe that The Supreme One will actually pick one team over the other, one athlete over another, one national team over another?  That they are somehow more deserving than the athletes on the opposite team?  That Supremo will overlook rules infractions during the upcoming game - or even outright cheating, violence, etc. perpetrated by them against their opponents?  (Hold it here, maybe they're asking for forgiveness as they leave the field.  Possibly.)  That J.C. will keep their ball out of the rough or water hazard?  It boggles the mind.  Yet game after game, tourney after tourney, touchdown after touchdown, it happens.  All right, to be fair, my wife thinks perhaps they're just praying to have a good game, or thank Buddha for having survived the contest without injury.  I suppose that's possible.  How do I know what they're praying about, she says.  (I hate it when she's so incisive.)  Just the same, I'm suspicious.