Saturday, June 5, 2010

Shopping For A New Vehicle?

Okay, I'm not one of those guys who can phone up a car dealer I've got a final price from and swear a blue streak while offering to cut the head off his cocker spaniel with a rusty sardine can lid if he doesn't give me a better price.  It's just not in me.  But I have learned a thing or two the hard way, so herewith are the basics I've learned when buying a new vehicle from a big dealership.  First, the dealer should be willing to knock 10% off the MSRP on the window sticker/options list right off the bat.  I learned this from a minor sports star who, as a rookie auto salesman, blurted out as much the first time I sat down at his desk.  Also, it should be obvious but, when you're at an impasse on price, always see if the salesman will throw in an option or two.  Second, take your significant other along, two heads are better than one and then you will have a psychological advantage over the salesman.  When you feel you've done the best you can, get up and walk around the showroom - and turn the salesman over to her/him.  (I've actually never done this, but D.H. is a big believer in this technique.)  Third, if the salesman is willing to accept your offer, your offer is too high - so get up and start to walk out, he'll make his best deal trying to stop you before you get to the door.  Good luck!