Monday, August 30, 2010

Ginch, Gonch, Undies, Tighty Whities...

My wife just about cracks up every time I say that I'm out of ginch, or that my gonch are uncomfortable.  Which, of course, led me to wonder about the many synonyms there must be for men's underwear.  To my surprise there aren't that many!  (Or at least that many that can be repeated out here.)  Although they can largely be divided into two categories (boxers and briefs), here are some others: undies, drawers, tighty whities, jockey shorts, skivvies, undershorts, jocks, underpants, and butt huggers.  And for you fashionistas, there seems to be a trend at present toward very brief briefs, ie. bikini briefs and thongs for men.  (In a recent poll, apparently 41% of men prefer wearing briefs, while 12 % prefer boxer shorts - which leaves 47% of men unaccounted for either because they wouldn't answer the question, didn't wear any - a la Kramer who didn't want to restrict his "boys" - or because they wore something other than boxers or briefs.)  All of which leaves me somewhat unsatisfied.  Surely there must be more synonyms for men's underwear that my wife would recognize and perhaps smile at, but not send her into stitches of laughter.  Please submit your favorite as a comment below, anonymously if you like.