Friday, September 3, 2010

Food Stuff(s)

Since moving back out here a few years ago, my wife and I decided to start growing a vegetable garden again, whip the orchard into shape, get some cows, and even harvest our Saskatoon berry bushes.  Perhaps not earth-shattering stuff to you, but a major sea change for this former city kid (using the term very loosely at my advanced age), although my beautiful farmer's-daughter-naturally-green-thumb-plant-loving-veggie-eating wife needed no encouragement at all to get some dirt under her fingernails.  Why this transformation on my part?  I'll 'fess up: it's because I was worried about our fragile global food distribution system, the population boom, peak oil, and all that stuff.  (All of which seems a bit overblown by the media three years on.  At any rate, I must admit I'm enjoying the agrarian life more than I thought I would.)  But now there's a new worry.  Seems that it isn't the availability of food I should be worried about, but the quality of the stuff we buy in our stores.  A documentary called "King Corn" caught my eye last night on the one-eyed monster, and then this morning CNBC interviewed a fishing expert who said that in the near future our grandkids may never get to taste a fish caught in the wild.  Well, perhaps that will be the case in NYC, but I had a fly-fishing refresher course last week from an old friend down at the creek out here - and yours truly caught the biggest one of the day!  Now if I could just learn to like the taste of trout ...