Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Demise: PC Goldfish Bowls

Ya gotta love Scientific American (or at least I do).  Although not as spartanly academic (or thick) as it used to be it's still a great read, attempting - as we all do - to enhance the scientific intelligence of the overall populace, promote the truth and fight the spread of B.S.  (I guess thick, spartan scientific magazines don't sell well - hence SA's gradual metamorphisis to the present slick, glossy, thinner, sexier format.)  And there may be no more odious form of B.S. than that promulgated as a result of political correctness, or in this case - Pet Correctness.  To wit: "A few years ago the city council of Monza, Italy, barred pet owners from keeping goldfish in curved Bowl. The sponsors of the measure explained that it is cruel to keep a fish in a bowl because the curved sides give the fish a distorted view of reality."  When I read that I was speechless first, sad second, mad third, and finally accepting.  (Must be some sort of 4 Steps to B.S. Closure or something.)  Acceptance came about only because I don't care, so maybe that's not really acceptance.  At any rate, I have a single goldfish (actually my grandson's) at present, in a rectangular aquarium no less, and he (she?) tells me the aquarium shape is okay - just please don't flush him/her down the toilet when he/she dies like the others did.  Now that is what I call goldfish reality!