Friday, October 29, 2010

Faith-based Food?

A chance encounter with Dubai-based "Mecca-Cola" the other day (yes, in a red can with a flowery white-and-chrome script used for the name written sideways just like Coca-Cola) got me thinking about faith-based foods.  We all have our minimum standards (no Hindu pickles from India, thank you Wal-Mart!), favorite brands and must-have labels.  Are any of yours faith-based?  For instance, you can always send me some Robertson's Thick Cut marmalade for my mid-morning toast to bribe moi.  It's as close to a faith-based (that is, "do unto others ...") food as I get out here, although the Presbyterians who make it would probably wonder at it being perceived thus.  (I found out the other day that virtually all of Gibraltar's orange crop goes to the British Isles, in case you were wondering where all those oranges come from.  I know I was.)  And, of course, noshing on Twiglets - the Worcestershire sauce-tasting snack food from England - is a near-religious experience for me.  But seriously, kosher pickles always seem to taste better, especially Claussen's ("to die for") Dills.  But Mecca-Cola seems to be taking faith-based food to new heights(?).  It pledges to donate 10% of its profits to fund strictly humanitarian projects (such as schools) in the Palestinian territories, and another 10% to charities in the countries in which the drink is sold.  (Just which charities in Canada would be interesting to know as the company slogan is "Shake your Conscience".  Don't hold your breath, Stephen.)  M-C also suggests that people avoid mixing the drink with alcohol.  Well, that does it for me.  If you can't mix it with Lemon Hart, I don't want it.  Makes me wonder if I'm using Mormon limes!  Yikes!