Friday, October 22, 2010

My Tattooed Forebearers ... Yikes!

Regular readers of Out Here Too will know what I think of tattoos by now.  Suffice it to say, I'm on record as saying they're ugly, unhygienic, a waste of money, blah, blah, blah.  Imagine my surprise then, when I discovered that my very own ancient Scottish relatives, the Picts, got their name from the retreating Romans (builders of the coast-to-coast Hadrian's Wall in a vain attempt to protect themselves from the same) - who labeled them Picti because of the pictures tattooed all over their bodies!  Banish the thought!  Oh well, I'm sure that the other major contributor to our family DNA - the Norsemen - were at least clear-skinned despite otherwise apparently being role models for today's Hell's Angels (no, those who call them "adventurers" are just sugar-coating - they were happiest when raping and pillaging).  Of course, Scotland was regularly invaded by the Vikings throughout its history so - who knows - they may also have been human canvasses.  Yikes!  Funny how your words come back to bite you in the ass.