Sunday, October 24, 2010

Schlock for Smart Schmucks?

I'm sure you've seen those ads for (ridiculous) "collector classic" die-cast-limited-edition-previously-$29.95-each metal model trucks (2 for $10, of late) on TV over the past couple of years.  I can't believe that people really collect this schlock in the first place (the most extensive Catalog of these adult toys (?) costs a mere $2.49), however I can understand the nostalgia thing.  (Doesn't everybody yearn for 1957?)  And the classic car thing ('57 Chevy, of course, is there any other?).  Maybe you even had a brother born in 1957 that you like (young whipper-snapper)!  But what I can't understand is why these ads show up on my financial channels time and again.  The Speed channel perhaps, or Hot Rod TV, or The Shopping Channel - but Bloomberg and CNBC?  I don't get it.  These are channels for people who are supposedly smart with their money.  Or maybe that's exactly what's going on.  These days marketers don't advertise on a channel where their stuff doesn't sell, it just doesn't happen with modern sophisticated tracking of sales.  The obvious conclusion?  Yikes!