Friday, November 12, 2010

Midnight Muscle Machine Madness

I'll admit it.  I'm a bit insomniacal.  Most of what you read on out here too is written between 4 and 6 am, sometimes earlier.  (I'm easily distracted, and at that time of day there's nothing to distract me but the moose munching on the willow in our front yard.)  Very occasionally I'll doze a bit on the couch during that time, and even less often I'll watch TV.  What strikes me when I do watch middle-of-the-night TV is the plethora of exercise machines being flogged to the sleepless.  From BowFlex to ThighMaster and everywhere in between there must be at least a dozen machines being advertised at any one time.  Some of them are just plain ridiculous, like that thing you kneel on and swing around in a half-circle, and the thing you put under your knees and rock back and forth while lying on the carpet on your back.  I'm sure there must be an evil genius out there who's full-time job is dreaming up ridiculous exercise machines.  "If it moves and can be sold for less than a year's gym membership let's get 'er on late night TV boys!"  It surprises me that insomniacs are a good audience for exercise machine pitchmen (because there's no way in hell this sleepless sap is working out at that time of day), but evidently some must jump on that thing and get at it.  Frankly, I'd rather see advertisements for new-fangled beds and cumfy-cozy couches.  Hmmm...think I'll stretch out for a minute or two now.