Saturday, November 20, 2010

Online Addicts Anonymous

Interesting program on CBC's "Doc Zone" last night (what I saw of it between checking my eyelids for holes now and then) about how our caveman brain isn't set up to deal with the constant flow of stimulation that we get from the online world, especially smartphones.  "Crackberries", as they are known amongst aficionados, came in for most of the criticism, but video gaming also took a hit.  (There is now Crackberry.com, where all things crackberry are sold and the webmaster offers free addiction tests - as well as references to recovery programs.)  I narrowly avoided this addiction myself in the mid-1990's when I was off work for an extended period just at the exact moment the internet hit our fair town (that Jewel of the West).  With lots of time on my hands and a rickety dial-up connection, I spent the better part of every day and night for a year surfing, much to the consternation and chagrin of my wife but (hopefully) unnoticed by my young children.  I think it was the first mention of addiction to the internet in a California (where else?) divorce case that made me question my excessive use thereof.  Luckily my son's skiing addiction tore me away from my online one and I've never looked back.  I'm sure that television electronically assaulted our forefathers' mental wiring much the same way when it was introduced back in the 1950's so I'm not too worried, but there certainly is much more exciting content (and many more avenues to access it) now than back then.  Ozzy and Harriett in black and white don't hold a candle to modern wireless texting, emailing, online gambling and video gaming.  Anyway, do something good for that caveperson brain of yours and check it out on the one-eyed monster if you get the chance - and can tear yourself away from your handheld.