Thursday, February 3, 2011

John Kenneth Galbraith, Harvard Economist

... U.S. Ambassador to India, and adviser to John F. Kennedy, was born and raised of Scottish settlers in Dunwich on the north shore of Lake Erie.  Better known for his authorship of American Capitalism, The Affluent Society, The Great Crash 1929, and The Liberal Hour, he also wrote a little-known tome entitled The Scotch about growing up in rural Ontario.  His droll Scottish humour makes great reading as evidenced by the following tale of his adolescence:  "It was summer and I was deeply in love.  One day the object of my love, a compact golden-haired girl who lived on Willey's Sideroad a half-mile away, came over to visit my sisters.  They were away and we walked together through the orchard and climbed onto a rail fence which overlooked a small field between our place and Bert McCallum's.  Our cows were pasturing on the second-growth clover in front of us.  The hot summer afternoon lay quiet all around.  With the cows was a white bull named O.A.C. Pride, for the Ontario Agricultural College where my father had bid him in at an auction.  As we perched there the bull served his purpose by serving a heifer which was in season.  Noticing that my companion was watching with evident interest, and with some sense of my own courage, I said: 'I think it would be fun to do that."  She replied: 'Well, it's your cow.' "