Thursday, November 24, 2011

OH2, H2O, etc.

Yikes!
The U.S. markets are closed today, so even though it's a weekday I can sneak in a diversion from the woes of international finance - a relief to many of you I'm sure.  It was pointed out to me the other day that I use OH2 a lot as the abbreviation for Out Here Two, the second incarnation of this project (originally Out Here Too, referring to the fact that we live way out here in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains). AND I was also reminded that one Oxygen and two Hydrogens together are better known as water.  I never really thought about it much but I like that, both as a certified chemist and as a certifiable blogger.  I realize that reading OH2 everyday has become a necessity - like water - to many of you, but I'll modestly not go down that path.  (By the way, you ask, "Why is the formula for water written H2O, and not OH2?"  Answer: It is conventional to write the positively-charged ion in a chemical compound first, and the more electronegative element last, ie. NaCl rather than ClNa, H2SO4 instead of SO4H2, etc.)  That said, no chemist would be confused if you wrote OH2 rather than H2O, which makes me wonder how many budding chemistry students have ended up out here too by accident.  And what does all this mean in a cosmic sense?  I'm not sure.  OH2 is a labour of love for this early-riser, and I want ya'll to understand where I'm coming from (going to) - so if you find out let me know.  In the mean time, think of OH2 as a waterfall of eclectica, clean, pure and refreshing, but with the odd piece of driftwood and dead fish inevitably coming your way too.  Squitzitensa!