Sunday, November 6, 2011

Will You Live to See 80?

Vince is a senior? You're kidding!
Here's something to think about.  A sixty-something acquaintance of mine recently picked a new primary care physician, and told me this story: "After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing 'fairly well' for my age.  A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 80?'  He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?  'Oh no,' I replied.  'And I don't do drugs, either!'  Then he asked, 'Do you eat t-bone steaks and barbecued ribs?  I said, 'Never ... my other doctor said that red meat is unhealthy!'  'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, skiing, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?'  'No, I don't,' I said, 'I stay right out of the sun as much as I can.'  Then he asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have sex often?'  'No,' I said...  He looked at me and said, 'Then, why do you even care?"

The Good News:  Yes, to all of the above - save tobacco and drugs!