Friday, April 13, 2012

The Hunger Games Movie Review

Let me first say that I attended The Hunger Games movie with my wife, and there is no greater defender of the innocence of children and childhood than she, as those who know her will readily attest.  Repulsed by the idea of children fighting - let alone to the death in an arena broadcast nationwide - she was not comfortable with going to this flick at all.  (I could try to tell you that it was my suave, debonair delivery of a wholly logical explanation of the allegorical nature of this groundbreaking film that convinced her to go with me, but that would be a lie - I begged her to go.)  And I think it fair to say that she was pleasantly surprised, even enthusiastic about the movie, to the extent that she now wants to read the books.  So, ye of faint heart, don't let others' opinions keep you from seeing THG, especially if they haven't seen it themselves.  The film adaptation is deftly delivered, yet true to the first book of the trilogy in every detail - no small feat given the subject matter.  Gore is virtually non-existent (unlike many other movies I've seen), the moments of tenderness just right, and the action is, of course, non-stop.  The film has a refreshing mix of actors old and new.  The heroine is outstanding, her performance makes you wonder what the girl-next-door is actually capable of if push comes to shove.  Finally, the parallels between the haves and have-nots of Panem, and the 99%-and-1% of modern day America are hard to miss, right down to the we're-not-going-to-take-it-anymore social unrest scene that will surely lead into the sequel (no doubt already being written).  So if you haven't seen The Hunger Games yet, do yourself a favour tonight.  May the odds always be in your favour.